Why Sidepost supports women in trades
As a home service company that delivers many different trade services, we understand the value of having a skilled tradesperson. We believe that everyone, regardless of their gender identity, should have an opportunity to enter their chosen trade. This is why we’ve set up a scholarship for women who wish to pursue a trade or technical education. In 2022, women make up only a minor percentage of the trades and technical workforce. This is especially prevalent in core industries such as construction, automotive and electrical, where women only account for less than 2% – a percentage that’s remained stagnant for over two decades. This lack of diversity raises the question – where are the women?
So why are there so few women in trade jobs?
Many contributing factors result in the low number of women in trades. Below we’ll explore a few of the most common ones:
1. Minimal exposure to trade occupations as a potential career option due to a lack of encouragement or relatable role models.
2. Male-dominated workplaces and cultures that foster an environment of sexism and prejudice.
3. A lack of financial support and resources for women to access trade education and training. Women with children, for example, often have to choose between family commitments and study.If you’re a woman interested in a trade career, know that you have the potential to make a real difference in this industry. With the proper support, you can make a successful career in your chosen trade.
Giving you the support you need
Sidepost wants to help more women enter and succeed in trade careers, so we’re offering a $2000 scholarship to help offset the cost of trade education and training. Below are some of costs that the scholarship can be used for: Our scholarship will help to pay for the following:
- Tuition fees
- Textbooks and course materials
- Trade tools and equipment
- Living expenses
- PPE and tools
How to win our scholarship
To be in the running for this scholarship, simply tell us in 500 words or less:
- What do you hope to achieve through your studies?
- How will this scholarship help you to reach your goals?
- What drawbacks or challenges have you faced in your chosen trade thus far, and how have you overcome them?
Sidepost’s selection criteria for the winner of the scholarship will be based on:
- The creativity and originality of your response
- Your passion for your chosen trade or technical career
- The feasibility of your goals
- Your ability to overcome any drawbacks or challenges you have faced so far
Applications for the scholarship are now open and will close on the 31st of October, 2022. The winner will be announced on the 15th of November.
What courses are eligible for the scholarship?
At Sidepost, we accept applications for various trade and technical programs. A few examples of eligible programs include:
- Identify as a female
- 18 years or older
- Have a strong interest in pursuing a career in the trades
- Be currently enrolled in or have been accepted to a trade or technical program at an accredited institution
How to Apply
To apply, just send us a letter explaining your your passion for your chosen trade or technical career, what challenges you’ve faced so far in pursuing that career and what your goals are.
The deadline to submit your application is 31st of October, 2022. Award will be announced 15th of November.
Please submit application to [email protected].